Landon’s Super Bowl 48 Trivia and Interesting Facts – Part 2
After last night’s Super Bowl, I ventured out into the Internet in search of some trivia and interesting facts on the game for all the sports junkies out there. Here’s some of what I came up with:
- The Broncos have now faced the three largest halftime deficits in Super Bowl history. They were down 22 in this one… they were down 27-3 (or by 24 points) in their 55-to-10 blowout loss to the San Francisco 49ers in 1990. And they were down 35-to-10 (or by 25 points) in their 42-to-10 loss to the Washington Redskins in 1988. Not surprisingly, these three Denver losses are among the five worst Super Bowl blowouts in history.
- The Broncos have now lost FIVE Super Bowls, more than any other team. However, they’ve also won TWO: In 1998 and 1999. The Seahawks are now 1-and-1 in Super Bowls. They lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers 21-to-10 in 2006.
- Seahawks linebacker Malcolm Smith, who was named the game’s MVP, became the first player in Super Bowl history to have a fumble recovery AND an interception return for a touchdown in the same game.
- The Broncos entered the Super Bowl with the highest scoring offense in NFL history.
- Despite the Broncos offensive problems last night, wide receiver Demaryius Thomas caught 13 passes…the most of anybody in Super Bowl history. And Peyton Manning completed 34 passes, the most-ever by a Super Bowl quarterback. (Actually, the Super Bowl was less about the Broncos’ offense being TERRIBLE and more about it being unable to overcome their turnovers, penalties, mistakes and porous defense.)