Texas Department of Transportation Discourages Driving After Lubbock Snowstorm
Following the weekend snowstorm that affected several West Texas counties, TxDOT is urging residents to stay inside and avoid driving.
Should residents in areas affected by the snow and ice need to travel, TxDOT suggests adhering to the following guidelines:
- Reduce speed. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not winter road conditions plow
- Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses and shaded areas as they tend to freeze first
- If you start to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes. Steer into the direction of the skid until you feel you have regained traction then straighten your vehicle.
- Watch carefully for snow removal equipment and stay at least 200 feet back if you are behind a snow
- Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice