Seven people were displaced after a structure fire in Central Lubbock on morning of Monday, January 13th, 2020.

It happened just after 2:30 a.m. in the 500 block of 42nd Street. Residents say they awoke to the "sensation of heat at their feet."

KAMC News reports that the residents were living without electrical utilities and had multiple candles around their bed and nightstand, one of which was knocked onto the bedding.

Those who were in the home attempted to put out the fire, but were unsuccessful. They escaped through on a window on their side of the duplex and alerted residents next door.

Lubbock Fire Rescue says that a man who suffered first degree burns to his hands and feet was taken to University Medical Center.

Four adults and three juveniles were displaced, and around 40 percent of the structure was damaged in the fire.

More From Awesome 98