Lubbock ISD Begins New Teacher Incentive Allotment Program
The Lubbock Independent School District announced on Wednesday that they would be kicking off a new program that will recognize high-performing teachers. A virtual reception will be held on Wednesday recognizing those who are part of the new Teacher Incentive Allotment, also known as TIA.
According to a press release from the Lubbock Independent School District, this new program was part of House Bill 3 and is designed to help recruit, support, and retain highly effective teachers.
86 teachers are receiving a five-year designation as a master, exemplary, or recognized teacher based on teacher observation and student growth data. The payout for individual teachers ranges from $3,550 to $25,445 annually, depending on the level of their designation and the poverty level of the school in which they teach.
Lubbock ISD is the only district in the region participating in Cohort A of the Teacher Incentive Allotment program, a key part of House Bill 3 dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and retaining highly effective teachers in all schools, with particular emphasis on high-needs schools. Districts that choose to participate are charged with developing local teacher designation systems that measure teacher effectiveness, which must be submitted to the Texas Education Agency (TEA) for approval and undergo a data validation process conducted by Texas Tech University.
The district’s TIA plan is generating $852,935 this year. Lubbock ISD retains 10% of the money to help offset the costs for the development and maintenance of the program, and the remaining 90% is distributed to the teachers.
The virtual celebration is at 5 p.m. today.