Texas Tech Baseball Rips Through Baylor in Opening Game of Series [Photos]
Friday night in Lubbock, the Texas Tech Red Raiders (27-6, 5-2) crushed the Baylor Bears (19-11, 2-5) in the opening game of their three-game weekend series, 13-2.
The sold-series was tight for the first two innings, with both teams putting up two runs. However, those first two innings would be the only times Baylor would score.
Texas Tech exploded for five runs in the third inning, and another five in the fifth inning. A single run in the sixth inning gave the Red Raiders the 11-run lead they'd hold until the end.
Below are game notes from Texas Tech Athletics:
- Tech scored in the first inning for the 14th time this season
- Tech’s 5 runs in the third marks the 5th time in 4 games the Red Raiders have scored 3 or more runs in one inning
- Seventh time this season to score multiple runs in the opening frame
- Eight Red Raiders recorded a hit in Friday’s contest
- Four different Red Raiders had multiple hits in Friday’s game
- Tech’s 13 runs in Friday’s match up were the most runs in a conference game this season
- The Red Raiders have won seven of the last nine meetings with the Bears
- It was the ninth time this season Tech has scored 10 or more runs in a game
- Friday’s game was also the 16th game with 10 or more hits in a contest
- Caleb Kilian’s win marks the first time since May 10, 2016 in which a Tech pitcher has won back-to-back games (Moseley)
- First time this season the Red Raiders have scored 5 or more runs in two innings in a single game
Texas Tech takes the field again Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. for game two against the Baylor Bears.
You can see highlights from the Texas Tech-Baylor game below.
Patrick Mahomes Back in ActionTexas Tech Pro Day 2017